Much like British football fans, I vow to be a tea drinker until my last breath; English Breakfast, Peppermint, Fruity, you name it, i’ll drink it. Preferably with a cake but it’s not a necessity.
Having said this, with the sun shining as bright as it has this month and with very little to do with my time thanks to the lock-down, I’ve had no choice but to experiment.
Dalgona coffee seems to be Instagram’s coffee of choice at the moment but i’m always late to the party with trending topics and quite frankly it seems like a lot of fuss, I have, however, been hankering for a cold, sweet coffee to sip on in the sunshine. Mostly for the sole purpose of aiding my imagination whilst I pretend to be sitting in a cafe near the sea on the Amalfi Coast.
My first attempt failed miserably; as I said, i’m no connoisseur, but as with most things in life, my Mother came to the rescue and threw a few bits together to create the yummiest, most indulgent iced beverage this side of Watford. Vague measurements of Ingredients and Instructions to follow;
Serves: About 2 tall glasses
- 2 heaped tea spoons of instant coffee
- 2 scoops of ice cream
- About 200ml of Milk
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract (if you choose)
- Boil your kettle and pour your two heaped tea spoons of coffee into a small milk jug (not a Pyrex dish guys)
- In an electric mixer, add the ice, ice cream and milk and mix until smooth. Be sure to add either extra milk or ice cream depending on how thick or thin you want the coffee.
- Once your kettle is boiled and added to the jug of instant coffee, pour into the mixer and continue to…mix!
- Add Maple Syrup and Vanilla extract to your hearts content.
- Pour into a glass full of ice