I have a friend and colleague who, despite always refusing anything I offer to eat (i’m not that awful at cooking, I swear), continues to force feed me at any opportunity. Unfortunately, despite my efforts of resistance and aversion to healthy meals, she usually wins the battle.
For weeks, and before social-distancing and self-isolation had become the slogan to 2020 this friend would deliver me a tin foil present every morning and inside it housed a breakfast muffin.
Much like everyone else in the world, I decided some baking couldn’t hurt to pass the time whilst in quarantine so I asked my friend for her recipe and, well, the rest is history.
Let me know what you think!
*Disclaimer – These muffins will last about 4-5 days so i’d recommend halving the recipe if you won’t get through 18.
Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Cupcake baking tray
- 250 g Plain Flour
- 80 g Oats
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 250 g Greek/low fat Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 120 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 75 g Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 157 g Fresh or Frozen Blueberries Recommended: Frozen (less likely to get squashed when you mix them in)
- 2 tbsp Water If you use frozen berries, you don't need the water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Mix all the dry ingredients into one bowl
- Whisk the egg into a separate bowl and add the yogurt, apple sauce, vanilla extract (and water if using fresh berries)
- Mix both bowls together
- Add the blueberries and fold into the mixture
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake sections
- Leave in the oven for 20 mins and then stand to cool